You can’t beat an old-fashioned dessert, like this delicious crumb cake,
starring tender apple and sweet strawberries.
- Melted butter, to grease
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, thickly sliced
- 200g strawberries, washed, hulled, halved
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 50g chilled butter, chopped
- 55g (1/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a round 20cm (base measurement) springform pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base with non-stick baking paper. Place the prepared pan on a baking tray.
- Step 2Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the combined flour and the milk until well combined.
- Step 3Spoon into the prepared pan. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the surface. Arrange the apple and strawberry on top.
- Step 4To make the crumble topping, place the flour and butter in a bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Step 5Sprinkle the crumble topping over the apple and strawberry. Bake in oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
I found this recipe on http://www.taste.com.au and I loved every crumb!