Zucchini and Fresh Herb Feta Frittata
This is a dish that both my mother and grandmother both bake to perfection and even though for the sake of the recipe I have added measurements for the zucchini and the fresh herbs a little over or a little under will not alter it, it will alway taste as delicious as it should.
When zucchinis are in abundance and fresh herbs are plentiful then this bake may appear a few times as part of the dinner meal, for lunch or even breakfast.
- 4 Zucchini (medium sized) Grated
- 1/4 cup Fresh chopped Mint
- 1/4 cup Fresh chopped Dill
- 1/4 cup Fresh chopped Parsley
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 250g feta cheese, crumbed
- 3 egg whites (whipped to stiff peak)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a bowl mix together the grated zucchini and fresh herbs set aside.
- In a small fry pan add a tablespoon of olive oil and the grated onion, saute gently till the onions have softened and lightly caramelised. Add the onion to the zucchini and mix to combine.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- Beat the egg yolks and olive oil together add the crumbled feta cheese, white pepper, mix into the zucchini mixture.
- Fold the whipped egg white into the zucchini mixture.
- Oil a large baking tin (approximately 20cm x 25cm) spread the mix evenly. Spread the grated cheese over the top.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes till the top of the bake is crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.